Courage: Episode 2

Last summer I attended a seminar and one of the things they talked about was fear. They talked about all the different things that we feared. They explained that fear had something to do with the brain and how trying new things would give the brain the idea that something was wrong and fear was something you felt when you did something out of your comfor zone. Is this true? I don't know and honestly doesn't matter. But I though about a particular fear that I have. So, this summer I was at the pool with my friends and my sister. They were all jumping in and out of the pool and they wanted me to join them. One of my biggest fear is jumping into things. It's about trusting that you'll be caught and I just have my guard up when it comes to trust. Like, I would never let myself fall back into someone's arms.

So, I grabbed my friend's hand and ran towards the pool and suddenly stopped. I couldn't do it. He ended up in the pool and I was just looking down at him. This happened a couple of times before I realized what was happening to me; fear had taken over my body. At that moment I though about the seminar and the idea that I was getting out of my comfort zone.  "You have nothing to fear but fear itself." So, I jumped in. It was one of the best things I've done. The feeling of the water receiving your body and the freedom of having nothing holding on to you in that jumped between the time you push yourself off and you hit the water. That was awesome. That was great.

Comments

Popular Posts