Excerpt: A Trip To San Carlos

National Novel Writing Month 2014


“Good, and talk to me about this new project. It’s a lot to take on, what if you want to return home?”
“I can’t.” I shrugged. “I took on this project and I have to stay committed. And it’s to help rebuild the city. Did this side of the town get affected?”
“Not really, but the city yeah.”
“You would think that you guys that were so near the ocean would definitely have gotten affected.”
“That’s because of the legend of Carlos the drifter. The town is named after him.”
“So, what’s the story?” I asked.
“Not tonight.” Grandpa laughed. “You just got here.”

The house was a beautiful one floor home with two bedrooms and two bathrooms. In the back it had a hammock hanging by two nearby trees and in the front a deck where they kept two comfortable chairs. The living room was nicely decorated in light blue and white. It felt so much like a summer home. The beach could be seen in the distance.
“I love your home.” I said as grandma directed me to the bedroom. Grandpa was outside talking to the neighbors. The streets were made of dirt it wasn't like New York where everything was pavement. All the people lived near each other with just a few feet from one house to the other.
“It’s very different from New York.” Grandma said. She was right, very.
“Yes, I don’t know if I’m going to get use to it.”
“It will take a couple of weeks. But you will because it’s very peaceful down here. Everyone sort of follows a nice schedule. Now, I must warn you sometimes the electricity goes out but we always have candles. The water comes every other day, when there is no water we use the one from the tank in the backyard.”
“What!?”
“Yes, it’s not New York honey.”
“But…”
“We always have enough water.”

I was beginning to regret this trip, no water every day!? And the electricity comes and goes?

“Did you tell her about the light and water?” Grandpa asked from the other room. “Is she scared yet?”
“You should see her face.”

They laughed and I couldn't help but laugh too.

“I see, so you guys were waiting for me to come just so that you can laugh at me, huh?”
“Maybe.” She said innocently. I laughed. My grandparents were the best.
“Well I’m not going to back out. Like you said it’s going to take a few weeks for me to get use to San Carlos but I’m not going to give up. My family is counting on me to pull this business through.
“Did your dad offer to pay for a hotel?” Grandpa asked. He could clearly hear us from next door. The walls were thin.
“No, there was no question that I was going to stay here with you guys. Besides, what am I going to do alone in a hotel in a place that I do not know? I would run away quickly. But having you guys here, well I think I’ll have all the support I need.”
“Okay, so then let’s continue telling you about San Carlos.” Grandma took hold of my hand and walked me around to the backyard. “We wake up with the sun, close our doors with the arrival of the night and we are all very close neighbors. Whenever I cook, I give food to the elders next door because they can’t cook. Everyone is very loving.”
“We do not have grocery stores.” Grandpa added. “They are called colmados here. You walk in, ask for what you want and it’s handled to you by someone behind the counter. And in this town we don’t have malls.”
“Wow!”
“You can say that again.” Grandma smiled. “You’ll get use to it. The beach is always open and so is Ricardo’s restaurant by the ocean.”
“On the weekends.” Grandpa said. “Businesses stay open to entertain everyone. But let’s not tell you everything. Besides, you’ll learn by living day by day. Any questions?”
“How do I get around?”
“Public buses and I’ll drive you around as well. I don’t recommend you driving just yet because the rules and regulations are very different. But we can always practice.”

They both looked at me waiting for anymore questions but at the time I had enough to take it. Maybe as the days went along I would reach out to them and ask them other questions.
“That’s all for now.”
“Welcome to San Carlos.”

They said simultaneously.

Comments

Popular Posts