Read: "Islandborn" by Junot Diaz

Last week, I taught "Islandborn" by Junot Diaz to my students.  This book is absolutely amazing! I connected with the main character Lola because our experiences are so very similar.  Lola lived in New York and was islandborn. She left the island when she was very young and like me learned a lot about the history of the island through other people. I really felt connected to her character, she warmed my heart. I saw myself in Lola.
Even though I went back to the island every year as a child because my mother lived there, I missed it every moment that I wasn't there. I remember one afternoon, I was sitting alone in the play area of my aunt's complex, when I closed my eyes. I imagined that I was sitting in Dominican Republic. It was such a good feeling. I really missed the island. I thought about the island so much when I was a child. I missed the beaches, the people, the food and the life. I missed the school and the language. As an adult now it's different, I miss the island but I have a million things happening in my life. I don't have time to think about the island as much. But when I do, It makes me really sad that I spend years without visiting. Now that I can go every year, I don't. Isn't that crazy?

Let me go back to my original point...

It was truly special sharing that part of my identity with my students because they are very special to me. They get really excited when you share your life with them because they feel like they can connect with you. OH MY GOD my teacher is HUMAN! It's that sort of feeling. I think it's very important to build relationships with the students and to be real. They can absolutely see through your bullshit and I love it.

Anyways, I recommend this book. Enjoy it!

Comments

Popular Posts