The Milk Petition


One morning, I was walking by the lunchroom and I noticed some students having breakfast. They didn't seem to be enjoying their milk. One of the students had asked for no milk, one student was barely drinking it and the last student at the table didn't have his milk opened.
I was curious because I noticed they only had the choice of white milk. When I was in school, I remember that if they didn't have chocolate milk, I would just drink water from the fountain. My point is that I don't like white milk.

Anyways, I asked the students about the white milk and the oldest in the group (1st grader) told me that he didn't like white milk. My very quick answer was simply to say, then do a petition.
"A petition?" He asked. "What's that?"

I have known about petitions since I was in high school. I used to work getting signatures for petitions (let's not get into it, terrible job). But I didn't find a petition useful until I was in college. I had to take this Cervantes class that was offered every other semester. I was graduating in Spring 2013 but the class was usually offered in the Fall. The class was full and didn't fit my schedule. I had signed up to take it at another school. I was talking about it and one of my professors Sonia Rivera-Valdes told me about a petition. "If you can get enough students to sign it, they might be able to offer the class in the spring."
At the beginning of every class when students were gathered waiting for the professor, I would come in asking for the attention of all my classmates and tell them about the petition.
Good news! The class was offered on a Saturday for the Spring Semester I got a B+ or A- and I graduated (woohoo!).

"A petition is..." I went on to tell Tavion about the petition. I asked him to be in charge of collecting signatures and during recess he went to the kindergarten classrooms and you should've seen. Every student that was present that day signed the petition from K-2. At the end of the day, he handed the principal the petition and they got their chocolate milk. I remember Principal Dandie telling the story to the parents at the step-up ceremonies. It warmed my heart and I am thankful that she gave Tavion an award for it and didn't mention my name. This was truly his doing, he did all the work and he deserves all the credit.

Anyways, I just wanted to share that story.

Comments

Popular Posts