Excerpt: The Immortal

I don't know how many times I begin to write this book. I'm looking for such perfection that I'm never satisfy with what I write. Let's see if this one will be it.


Chapter One

The Coffee Shop 11:45 PM

“Why are you constantly looking at that watch?” Christina was cleaning the counters and my mind was nowhere near there. I had been sitting on a stool just looking at my watch.
“Sander.” I said. “He promised to pick me up an hour ago.”
Christina sighed. “You still...” I think she noticed the sadness in my eyes. “I'm getting off in 15 minutes, can I take you home?”
“Okay.” I cracked a smile and grabbed a cloth. “I'll help you clean the tables.”
“Okay, I'll head to the back and make sure everything is good in the kitchen.” Christina said and took off to the back.

While I was cleaning the table I heard the door open. I thought Cristina had locked it. “I'm sorry, are you guys open?”
“No, we just...” He was wet, I looked out the window and noticed it wasn't raining. His body was shaking even though he was wearing a heavy long coat. “You okay?” His chin and cheeks were covered with a long beard and his eyes were lightly open. “Are you drugged?”
“No.” He mumbled and heavily sat on one of the chairs. He could barely keep his head up.
“We...”
“Please, let me have some food. I'm really hungry.”
Christina came back in the room and was surprised to see we had a costumer. “Is everything okay?”
“He is homeless and wants some food.” I said.

Christina didn't think about it twice. She grabbed some of the donuts, bread and muffins and placed it in front of him. Then she grabbed a cup and filled it up with coffee. “We are a small coffee shop. I think this will do.”


The stranger devoured the food. It was as if he had never eaten before. Christina and I watched him a bit scared. 

We had suddenly began wondering if letting this stranger in was a smart choice to begin with. What if he finished eating his food and decided to murder us?

Comments

Popular Posts