Excerpt: Grayish 2

Grayish 2, Introducing another character.



I can't give you one more drink. Legally Denise, you are drunk.” The bartender handed her a glass of water. “If you keep drinking this way...”
Tony, please. If I have to hear another of your stories...oh.” She leaned her head on the counter. “I think I would prefer to just shoot myself, let's leave it at that.”
Good thing your apartment is upstairs. I mean, not a good thing but at least you don't live far so that I would have to worry if you cold drive or not.”
I'm fine, I'm fine.” Denise could barely get up.
Why do you drink so much, huh? Are you ever going to share that little secret with me? I'm curious.”
Ask my mother. She stressed the shit out of me. This is why I'm so horrible. If she ever cared to call me it was simply to remind me what a horrible person I was. All this time I just wanted my mother to love my a little, you know?”
You're doing well with your life Denise. You are a known photographer, what more can you ask for?”
I'm alone.”
Okay,”
I have none to share this happiness with. The alcohol is my only friend.”
What about your sister Juliana?”
You mean Juliana the perfect Juliana? I don't think so. I mean what could we possibly have in common? She is a lawyer and she is married to this perfect husband and...I have nothing but a stupid apartment I bought when I inherited dad's money and a stupid career in photography. Big deal!”
There are people that have nothing.”
Oh no, no.”
What? It's a valid point.”
Are you going to talk to me about the kids in Africa? They are starving and are far in a worse situation than I am and trust me I do donate money, okay?”
Okay.”
I donate money so I don't feel guilty when I complain about my life. And you don't get to take that away from me Tony. You don't get to make me feel guilty for hating my life. It's not fair.”
What's not fair is what little importance you give to your life. You are drinking it away. I mean, really? Donating money to the needy just to not feel guilty when you are screwing up your life? I think you need more help than those kids. Maybe they don't have money but I know they must be much happier than you are. See, when people do not have anything, they learn to appreciate things a lot better.”
You are a terrible person.”
I hope you think about that next time.”
I have to go.” Denise could barely get up from her chair. “I mean, you are supposed to encourage me to drink. It's not like I don't' have any money to pay for the drinks. Tony you are making money. What's the problem?”
I have far more responsibilities than you think Denise. I'm a father and I had an alcoholic dad. My purpose here really it's to discourage people from drinking when I see they are doing it simply because they hate their lives. I like people who drink to celebrate things.”
I...” Denise laughed. “I've never heard such thing from a bartender. Are you kidding me right now?”
Maybe you should read what it says in the front of the store.”
Wait....what?”
This isn't drinking anonymous or...?” Denise laughed again. “Oh God, I'm being a jerk.”
Well...”
Oh Tony...”
Denise, go get some sleep.”
I forgot this is Happy Bar: Only Drink 4 Happiness and hey that's how much the drinks cost, 4 bucks!”
Oh, so you do remember the sign my not necessarily funny son made for the bar?”
Then why do you let me even come in? You know I'm not going to drink because I'm happy. Am I like another project?”
Good night Denise.”
She grabbed her camera from the counter. “Good night.” She raised her hand in the air and waved before heading out the door.


Comments

Popular Posts