Excerpt: The Girl In The Mirror

Chapter One
“The One Way Street”


The last time I was in The Cherry Blossom Street I was eighteen years old, to say the least I was a mess. I was running around with this guy named Sander who got me into smoking weed to “forget the pain”. I wasn’t going to school or working and I wasn’t sleeping or eating right.  I remember the morning that I walked into my room and all my clothes and personal belonging were all packed into boxes and suitcases. “You have to go.” My father said, his eyes were distant, even cold. “Mom!” I said angrily. I looked for support in her, but she was on his side.
“I’m sorry baby.” She mumbled. Tears fell from her eyes. “It’s for your best.”


I remember Uncle Rob picking me up and throwing me over his shoulder. I kicked and screamed but he carried to the car. Uncle Rob was a police officer and it wasn’t anything new for him. He put me in the back seat of the car and locked it. It was a three hour drive to Aunt Vivian’s home. Aunt Vivian was the strongest woman you could think of. We were all afraid of her, she was the disciplinary, she was the tough one.


“Welcome home.” He chuckled. “You’ll be okay, kiddo.”
I didn’t answer, I waited for him to open the door and I was finally able to stretch my legs. Just as we were arriving, Aunt Vivian was opening the door to the house. I sighed.
“Alexandra Hamilton.” She said. Uncle Rob gave me a little push. I looked at him and shook my head.
“Go ahead.” He said. Does he not know? I thought. Aunt Vivian wasn’t happy with me, I was going to get it. “Go ahead.”
“Hi, Aunt Vivian.” My voice was low and shaky.

“Oh girl, we need to talk.” We walked into the house and my life changed that moment.

Comments

Popular Posts