Excerpt:

When I have nothing to do at night, I write excerpts for the blog.

Part 1
The Death of Uncle Arthur

Sighed.

“I can’t believe Arthur is gone.” Dad took a seat next to my mom. We were sitting in the living room having a family gathering. The funeral had been just an hour before and we were all emotionally and mentally exhausted. “ Just twelve hours ago, I was sitting with him in the backyard drinking beer and talking about football.”
“It happens Frederick.” My mom comforted. “Don’t think too hard about it, God knows what he does.”
“Easy for you to say, he wasn’t your family.” Aunt Vivian argued. Aunt Vivian wasn’t a fan of my mother. Dad was her only brother and she was very protective of him.
“Should I remind you that I have been married to Frederick for twenty five years? Anyone who is his family, it’s mine. And if I may add…”
“You may not.” Aunt Vivian interrupted.
“It’s not the time.” Dad stood up. “I just need some time to breathe.” He walked out of the living room and  by his footsteps I could tell he headed towards the front door.
“Are you okay?” Mom tangled her hands with mine. “I know you were close to Uncle Arthur.”
“I just need to rest.” I cracked a smile and got up from the couch. “I’m going to bed.”
“I’ll call you for dinner baby.” She said and I nodded.

I walked up the stairs and dragged my feet to the bedroom. I locked the door behind me and  threw myself on the bed. The sheets were cold from this morning when I woke up warm thinking that everything was going to be alright.

I picked up the blanket and got under like a little child scared of her surroundings. I closed my eyes and tried very hard to make myself go to sleep. but I found myself tossing and turning.

There was a knock on the door.
“Yes?” I sat up on the bed. “It’s dinner time already?”

Comments

Popular Posts