Excerpt: The Man I Married

What are you reading?” He asked. “Paulo Coelho? He is amazing. He is so full of wisdom and he writes in three different languages. “
I'm reading “The Alchemist”, you read it?”
My sister told me to read it before I left this morning. I read “Veronika Decides To Die” and it was really interesting. This whole concept about wanting to live when it's too late.”
Did you just ruin the ending for me?” I asked.
He smirked. “Something like that.”
I want to read that next.”
How about we switch books? I have mine in the car and you are almost done with yours. I can wait for you to finish.”

I smiled.

How about you stop by tomorrow? Today I'm about to close and I have to go home and care for my grandmother. I don't think I'll be able to read for the rest of the night. I have to open the store early tomorrow.” I explained.
He nodded.
That's a deal.”

I cleaned up the counter and finished picking up the cookies and muffins that were left. I knew Silvia would stop by soon enough to pick them up. She ran a soup kitchen up the block that ran twenty four-seven. Meanwhile, the pale looking costumer, ate another muffin and drank more coffee.

The door opened.
Alexandra, ready?” It was Silvia. She was a dark skinned round woman. Her eyes were light brown and he dreadlocks tied up in a bun. “Oh, hello.” She smiled at the young guy and he cracked a smile.
Yes, everything is packed up.”
Thank you my love.” Silvia picked up the bags from the counter and began to walk out the door. That's when the young man got up and opened the door. “And thank you.”
You are welcome.” He reached into his pockets and pulled out a fifty dollar bill. “I'll see you tomorrow.” He placed the bill on the counter, next to his coffee shop.
It's only thirteen dollars, you know?”

Tip.”

Comments

Popular Posts