A Stranger On The Bus



He was the one who swept me of my feet. The one that made me believe in all his lies and all the promises that he never kept. How much he made me cry. I honestly tell you I cried a river.
I spent nights walking around in the cold because I couldn’t bare the feeling. Only the air could make me feel just a little better; that’s because it was the only way I knew I was still alive.
The empty feeling had taken over my heart, chest, and stomach. That emptiness that reminded me every second of how lonely, hurt, and sad I was. EVERY SECOND.
Worst it reminded me of how much I loved him and how he was cheating on me.
I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t think, I couldn’t eat, and I simply couldn’t function without him.
But who was he?
He was an idea.
He was made up.
He was a lie.
He was a stranger.
A stranger that now sits in front of me on the bus, and I can’t recognize.
His eyes are different, even darker.
They look sad too.
He looks tired, maybe he is working too much.
But I do not feel sorry for him.
I don’t even feel angry.
I can think back to all the ugly things he said to me and about me and I don’t feel anything.
It’s over.
He is simply part of my past.
He is a part of me that barely anyone knows exist.
And trust me I told plenty of people.
But they just seem to not know who he is. They can’t even understand what I saw in him.
They say there is nothing special about him; they don’t even think I know who he is.
And looking at him now makes me realize that…
There is nothing special about him.
He is simply a stranger. And from this stranger I learned that when they tell you not to trust strangers, they tell you for a reason.
But most importantly I learned that I’m not what he said about me.
Rather I’m strong and I’m intelligent and I’m beautiful.
And you, you couldn’t take that away from me.
But I’m not angry not even upset.
I actually pray at night for him, I may not know who he is or if he even know his real name, but I pray for him.
I pray that he never feels the way he made me feel, because I don’t think he will be able to bare the pain.

He looked at me and for a second I thought he could hear what I was saying.
His eyes looked down at the dirty floor of the bus.
And once again I couldn’t remember him.
This guy that I had loved more than myself and more than God at some point and even more than life it self…well this guy he… he simply was…a stranger on the bus.





Comments

  1. I never cheated but what can I say they are three sides to a story A. From Brownie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin, really? I just saw this comment and it blows my mind. Its been over a decade.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts