Excerpt: Lurking


Chapter One
January 8

“Is it okay if I go home? I’m really tired.” Tyra leaned on the door frame of Gene’s office and sighed. “You don’t take a break, do you?”

“I can’t. This is due tomorrow. But yes, you can go home if you like. I’ll close up the office and you can pick up the keys tomorrow morning. I’m going to take the day off. It’s my mom’s birthday and she wants to spend the day with me.” Gene kept her eyes on the computer screen. There were piles of folders pending Gene’s attention.

Tyra felt bad. “Maybe I should stay.” She threw her bag aside and grabbed a couple of folders from the desk. “Which are due for next week?”

“No, please...”  Gene got up and grabbed the folders from Tyra’s hands. “I did all the work that’s due next week. I was just getting ahead of myself. Go home I’m going to close in ten minutes anyways.” Gene smiled. “Thanks though. It’s nice to see that someone cares about me.”

January 9

“The next morning I went to pick up the keys for the office. There was no answer. I went to the office hoping that maybe she was there. That’s when I found the office was open. Gene wasn't inside and the office was a complete disaster.” Tyra wiped her tears away with a napkin the detective had provided her with.

“Do you know if Gene was dating someone?” The detective scribbled something on her notepad.

“I don’t think so. Gene didn't have time for anything. If she wasn't working, she was with her parents.”

“And you didn't notice anything stranger leading up to tonight? Maybe someone strange lurking around or Gene acting a bit different? Perhaps she was worried or bothered by something?”

“No detective, I’m sorry.”

“Thank you Ms. Hills. If I have any other questions, I’ll be sure to get in touch with you. And please if you remember anything else about that night...just give me a call.” The detective handed Tyra a business card. “Call me day or night.”

The detective’s partner approached her. “Anything?” He asked.

“Absolutely nothing.”

By: Ana Acosta

Comments

Popular Posts