Excerpt

It happened that…
She was a troubled young lady trapped in a world of pain, depression and loneliness. He was her mentor, her doctor, her shoulder, her friend and one of the few who knew about her ordeal.
“Is there a connection between your dreams and your reality?”
She was sitting on an arm chair across from him, hugging her legs with her arms and resting her head on her knees. Her eyes we close but she was listening attentively.
He was sitting near her on his black leather seat looking at the pictures she had drawn for him. They were images of her dreams, her talent in art allowed him to get an idea of the things she feared the most.
“I don’t think there is a connection.” Her voice was soft but low, almost impossible to hear.
He had been working on this case for about three years now and it had become part of his life. His connection with this strange girl was unexplainable but real.
His nights were now filled with discomfort, worries, and nightmares. Was this an obsession?
When he didn’t say anything she picked up her head and looked deep into his eyes for some kind of answer.
There was absolutely no light in her eyes; those eyes that once were light brown and filled with joy were nothing but dark, cold and distant. Where was that light?
“They say our dreams are suppress feelings and everything that involves the subconscious state of the mind.”
“What about the blood?” She asked. “I wake up bleeding from my nose.”
“That could be the stress and the tension, what I can tell just by looking at this picture is that the reason why you are having problems understanding your dreams is because nothing makes sense. In this picture you’re walking under the rain but you’re in a desert. The flowers are growing in winters and dead mothers are giving birth to babies. But, the idea of nothing making sense makes your dreams interesting.”
“What doesn’t make sense to me is why I’m the one having these dreams?”
“Beautiful things can come from disturbing and unexpected ones and those who have the ability to see them, possess great powers.”
“Yeah, right” She rolled her eyes before deeply sighing and resting her head once again on her knees. “I don’t want to sleep anymore.”
“You’re going to tell me that you are not curious to know about great powers and deep meanings of dreams?”
“So, how do I sleep without having nightmares?”
“I want you to keep drawing pictures for me. I want to deeply investigate your dreams and possibly figure out why you are having them. I’m sure they have very much to do with you.”
“I don’t think they’re dreams, I think they’re nightmares. I always wake up disturbed.”
“We are scared of the things we don’t know and the things we don’t understand. Especially if these dreams are feeling as real as you describe them, I’m sure that’s going to affect not just how you feel but the way you look at these dreams.”
“What am I supposed to do then? I can’t sleep at night, I’m scared to close my eyes and dream about those things.”

Comments

Popular Posts