Excerpt: The Threat, Original Draft

This is an excerpt of the original draft of The Threat. I found myself stuck after a week of writing this draft. Hence why I fell behind in the NaNo challenge. I thought I should share it. I wonder if this idea would've been a much better one.


Chapter One
Where do we go from here?

“Is everything alright?” Timothy was always wearing his dirty sneakers, his jeans that didn’t go below his ankles and his black beret that never left his head. He reached out slowly for my hand and he could feel how cold they were. He tried to warm them up with his own.
“It was a long day.” I mumbled.
“I’m..I’m really sorry.” He wrapped his arm around me. “You and your sister are really strong girls.”
“I don’t know how strong we are going to be after this. It was really hard when mom died, I...I didn’t think I would make it without her. But somehow dad helped us stay strong. But he is gone…”I tried to hold my tears. Timothy had seen me cry countless times but today I was trying to be strong. I had made it through the funeral but now sitting at his favorite fishing spot, I just wanted to cry.
“Let it out.” He whispered. I rested my head on his chest and allowed the tears to sink into his blue long sleeve shirt. “One day this will pass.”
“How do you do it?”  I asked him. He had been through so much in his life and he managed to put a smile on my face every day. Timothy lost his parents when he was only 15 years old. Since then he lived alone in his parents house, worked and went to school. He worked at night at the local bar playing the guitar. His hands were magical. I used to sneak out at night just to hear him play. One night my dad caught me and I was in trouble for a whole week grounded.
“I really believe that everything happens for a reason. I don’t know why my parents are gone or why I am who I am or even why I’m here tonight...but it’s his will and this is where I’m going to be.”
I smiled. “Thank you. I guess when you put it that way..”
“Hey.” Ally-Lyn took a seat on one of the rocks near the river and sighed. “Everyone went home. I think we should go to sleep. It’s going to be a difficult day tomorrow because we have to figure out how we are going to take responsibility for the house now. And Shari is waiting for you Lunabella.”
Timothy quickly stood up. “I should go.” He said. “If you girls need me, you know where to find me.” I watched as he walked up the hill to his home. It was so difficult to watch him go.He managed to make me feel safe and even happy in the middle of this heartbreaking moment.
“What was that about?” Ally-Lyn asked. “Did you need his face?”
“Yes.” I mumbled before making my way back home.

Comments

Popular Posts