Excerpt:



Chapter 1
Matt

Alexandra had been sitting at the bar for an hour. She hadn't touched her drink in twenty minutes exactly, I checked my watch. Her eyes were distant and she seemed completely uninterested on whatever was going on around her. The blonde, blue eyed man sitting beside her had smiled and tried to grasp her attention a few times but she didn't seem to notice.
“I'm sorry ma'am, I can't help but notice you haven't touched your drink.” The bar tender pointed to the full glass. “You didn't like it? I can get you something else, something more...fun.”
“Oh.” Alexandra sighed. “No, I'm fine.”
“Okay, do you need anything else?”
“No, well...actually...” She grabbed her purse and searched for something. She pulled out a piece of paper. “Can you dial this number for me? I forgot my cellphone and I need to get in contact with this person.”
“Oh, sure. Do you wish to speak to them yourself? You can...”
“No, just tell him Alex is really drunk and I need someone to pick me up. I gave you that number.”
“But...” He sighed. Why bother? People have asked him to do worse, a stupid phone call wasn't going to hurt him. “Okay.”

Alexandra watched as the phone call was made. Meanwhile, she once again searched in her purse. This time she pulled out a twenty and placed it on the counter. Then she gather her coat, scarf and hat and began getting dress.
“Aren't you going to wait?” The blonde guy beside her asked.
“Excuse me?”
“You just asked the bartender to call someone for you because you are too drunk to get home and now you are simply leaving?”
“I paid for my drink, that's what matters.” Alexandra retorted. “Besides, why is this any of your business?”
“I'm sorry I...” He stood up from his stool. “I'm Christopher Hawk.”
“Oh?”
“I have been trying to grasp your attention for the last hour.” He blushed.
“Oh?”
He extended out his hand for her to shake, in return she raised an eyebrow.
“You are?” He asked.
“Alex.” But still she wouldn't shake his hand, instead she pushed it down. “I have to go.”

I followed her to the parking lot of the bar where she sat in her car and watched the door of the bar. What was she doing? I walked towards her car and knocked on the glass. She lower it a little but didn't bother to look at me. Her eyes were completely focused on the entrance door of the war.
“I'm working Matt.”
“So am I.” I smirked. It was then that I heard the door of her car unlock. I went around to the passenger's side and got in the vehicle.
“Who hired you Matt?” She asked. “My father?”
“Yes, he is worried about you Alexandra. What kind of work are you doing?”
“I'm not going to tell you.” She chuckled. “Did you forget what you just told me? My father hired you.”
“You were waiting for someone in the bar, is it a job?”
She sighed. “It's personal...”
“Oh, Sander.”
“I need to track him.”
“Did you know I was at the bar? How long have you known I was following you?”
“Matt, please. Do not underestimate yourself. You are a good detective.”
“Please...” He sighed.
“This morning, okay? How long have you been following me?”
“A week.”
“I'm going to hire you Matt, I need you to follow Sander and I need you to tell me if he is cheating on me. I just remember I have a previous engagement.”
I looked at her just to make sure she was being serious and she was. And so, I got out of the car and waited in the parking lot until Sander showed up.

Chapter 2
Alexandra


I drove up to the police station and ran up the stairs. “Hello Captain Hamilton.”
“So, what did Matt say to you this time? I think I need to hire another Detective, what do you think?”
“I hired him to do something for me.”
“So, that's why you decide to come visit your father after a month?”
“Busy.”
“You think I don't keep track of your cases? You mind explaining what happened in Elisa's case?”
“Her husband wouldn't pay the random and he wouldn't speak to the kidnappers either. What else was I supposed to do?”

“Sit.” He pointed to the chair. “We need to talk.”

Comments

Popular Posts