Things We Leave Behind 3


It was summer of 98 and I wanted a bike. I had to have a bike because it was summer and all the kids had one. So what does my father do? He got me a bike. But not just any bike, a bike that only had the sudden break. If I wanted to stop the bike slowly, I would have to use my feet. It was a pink bike I remember and boy did I have fun in this bike. Even though I don't enjoy speed, I raced many times and went down hills with this bike knowing damn well I didn't have breaks or helmets. But with this bike I let go of the fear and I enjoy the nights outside just going up and down the block of my building. I remember rushing up the hills just so that I could come down again, I wanted to feel the speed and the softness of the summer winds.

One day while I was racing with my friend I used the break and the bike threw me off, I wasn't hurt not even a scratch. But another time in the park  going down a dirt hill I fell and I still have the scar. But it didn't scared me, I got up and kept riding. This bike made me fearless. This bike made me giggle and smile. It was my first bike and it has been the only one since.

Sadly, one afternoon I came home and my cousin had taken my bike out for a ride. He damaged the wheels and my father threw them out. I was so sad, I couldn't believe he had taken my bike without permission. A gentleman who lived in the building next door took the bike and stole the good parts from it and added it on to his bike. The rest of the bike had gone in the garbage. But I will always remember my pink bike and cherish the memories.


Comments

Popular Posts