Excerpt: The Key Part Two

The Key (part two)

I had been walking for a couple of miles. I didn’t have a home and so my life consisted of hitch hiking and walking around places in hope of finding a place to rest for the night. As I walked along the empty and lonely road a car approached me. “Need a ride? It’s dark out here and it’s dangerous.”
“Yeah, can you drop me off eh...?” I searched in the map and not far from here there was a small town. “…this town” I pointed to the small town on the map and waited for him to take a look at it. “Is that alright?”
“Yeah, come on.” Usually I knew better than to get in cars that a man was driving but I didn’t think I would catch another ride tonight. Usually at night it was difficult to find a women driving. “So what’s a pretty girl like you doing out here?”
“I’m looking for…”I usually told everyone the same story. I was trying to get home. But with this key around my neck I felt different. I felt like I needed to find the door to which this key belonged. I grabbed the necklace and looked at the key once more. The shape was very unusual. It didn’t look like a regular key at all. “I’m looking for…my family.” I lied. It was a natural thing to do for me.
“Why did you leave your family in the first place? I know it’s none of my business to ask but if we are going to be together for the next hour we might as well get to know each other, right?”
“I don’t really have much to say.” I told him but he continued talking. My eyes were focused on the key and I couldn’t stop thinking of the guy who had given me the key. Did he tell me his name?
“What is that?” The guy asked. “At least you can tell me about that.”
“I’m sorry, I just…I don’t want to talk…” I tried to be as apologetic as possible. But the guy wouldn’t stop talking. He kept asking more and more questions. I was hoping that the one-way conversation would stop. Then suddenly he stopped the car.
“Get out” He demanded. “Get out of my car” I grabbed my things and opened the door before stepping out of the car. I guess I could keep on walking down the road. I closed the door and began walking ahead. I expected for him to drive pass me but he didn’t. Instead he stepped out of the car and pointed a gun out me. “You’re homeless but you own a gold key and a silver chain? You know how much money that’s worth?”
“What are you talking about?” Then I remember what the guy said.  “This chain causes nothing but tragedies to those who wear it.”
“Give me the key and the chain. You owe them to me…I took you this far.” I slowly walked backwards and away from the gun. What was I supposed to do now? I could give this guy the chain and live or I could keep the chain and get killed. “I don’t think you have much of choice since the gun is pointed at you and not me. So what’s it going to be?”

Comments

Popular Posts