Random Thought

Kindergarden @ Gun Hill RD

Yesterday I was thinking about the first school I went to when I came to the United States. It was a kindergarden school in Gun Hill Road. I was placed in a monolingual classroom and I couldn't speak a word in English. This must've been 19 or 20 years ago. My teacher was a blonde white woman and was never able to communicate one word to me. But there was another teacher; I don't remember her name, I can just remember her frizzy long dark brown hair and light skin face. I remember her always wearing some dark lipstick probably the dark brown that was quite popular in the 90's. She was so wonderful to me. The first thing she taught me was the ABC's in English. She helped me when I was in trouble, guided me in the classroom, kept me company when I felt alone and wiped my tears when I cried. My mother wasn't in this country and the only person I had to really count on was my sister. My sister being 3 years older than I was, was in the school next door and couldn't be there for me.
Not having our mother living with us then was very painful. And I just wanted to thank her wherever she is. She truly made a difference in my life and perhaps has no idea how much I think about her and how much I appreciate her encouragement. 

Comments

Popular Posts